30 Narangba Road Kallangur Qld
Pine Rivers Uniting Church is a member of the Uniting Churches of Australia and the church’s history is build on the belief that Christians who love the Lord should worship together freely and in unity. In 1977 the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches joined together to found the Uniting Church of Australia. The church’s founding document is the Basis of Union.
Pine Rivers Uniting Church is a Church birthed by a desire for Christians of different church backgrounds to join together in Unity. That means everyone is welcome no matter your background.
…Throughout its history the church has committed to the Great Commssion of Jesus Christ to “Go and make disciples of all nations.”
The church traces its witness in the Pine Rivers shire to beginnings in 1873. It’s current worship venue at 30 Narangba Road Kallangur was commissioned in 1996.
Our roots stretch back to 1871, when a small Sunday School was established in the area then known as North Pine. Oversight was provided by the Fortitude Valley Methodist Circuit, and by 1877, the North Pine Wesleyan church was built on Dayboro Road. The church was relocated on wheels in 1907 to Old Dayboro Road, Petrie.
Meanwhile, another church was built at the corner of Leitch’s Crossing Road and South Pine Road. It was later moved to its current site in 1925/26 on land donated by the Johnson family.
By 1888, the growing population led to the formation of a separate Pine Rivers Methodist Circuit, serving congregations across Bald Hills, Bunya, Cedar Creek, and beyond.
In 1918, Rev. W.S. Laurie of the Presbyterian Church founded a Ladies’ Guild. The Guild purchased land in Strathpine and opened a hall in 1926.
One of the most impactful ministries came through Mr. Frederick Marsden, who founded the Marsden Home for Boys in Kallangur. His vision for Christian care led to the building of a church beside the home in 1930, which served the Congregational and later the Uniting Church.
The mid-20th century brought more growth. In the 1940s–50s, the North Pine, South Pine, and Samsonvale Road churches were united as a Home Mission Station. By the 1960s, the Presbyterians were also expanding, acquiring land in Marshall Street, Strathpine, and constructing a new church.
Rapid development in Lawnton in the 1960s and ’70s prompted the North Pine Methodist congregation to establish a new presence on Todd’s Road, Lawnton. By 1975, Lawnton and South Pine regained full circuit status with Rev. G. Hine as the resident minister.
With the formation of the Uniting Church in 1977, a new Pine Rivers Parish was created, bringing together congregations : Dayboro Presbyterian (click here to download the Dayboro Church History 1873-1988), Kallangur Congregational Church, Narangba Congregational Church, Strathpine Presbyterian Church and Lawnton Methodist Church.
In 1987, a Parish Planning Retreat cast a bold new vision: to unify Lawnton, Kallangur, Narangba, and Strathpine into one congregation located in Kallangur. The mission was clear—“to be a vital and unified body of people.”
In 1990, a major turning point arrived. The Strathpine and Lawnton congregations formally united as the South Pine Congregation. Later in 1991, South Pine and Kallangur joined together—uniting three pre-Union traditions: Presbyterian, Congregational, and Methodist.
Worship services were held at the Lions’ Hall while plans for a new church centre took shape. Thanks to a generous land donation from the Marsden Home for Boys and the dedication of parishioners, the vision of a new central complex began to take form.
The new Worship Centre at 30 Narangba Road in Kallangur was officially opened by Rev. K.W. Neill, Secretary of Synod.
The building was designed with flexibility and outreach in mind, it features:
– A 350-seat auditorium
– A full stage with lighting and sound
– A fully equipped kitchen
– Office and meeting spaces
– Ample parking
The total cost at the time was approximately $580,000—remarkably achieved through creative building processes and stewardship, saving an estimated $100,000. Today, over 30 years later, this building is valued at 25 Million dollars and sits at the heart of a community eco-system that integrates Blue Care community services, Pilgrim Aged Care Home and the retirement village.
In July 1992, members gathered on open land to pray for what God would build. On Sunday April 21, 1996 that vision became reality.
As the church grew, so did its youngest members. Generations of children learned faith, friendship and scripture within these walls.
With the Narangba and Dayboro congregations later forming part of other parishes, Pine Rivers became a one-congregation parish. Our Worship Centre is more than a church—it’s a theatre, a community hub, and a place of transformation.
It has hosted joyful worship, vibrant music, and innovative outreach like Sunday Live—worship experiences designed to reach the unchurched and help fulfill our mission:
“To connect people with the God who loves them”